July 15, 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.

Most of my yard is, well, cringe-worthy. It is overgrown. Over-shaded. No room to run around. And weeds. And old brush just shoved in corners by previous owners. And bamboo. uuuuuuuughhh...the bamboo.  

BUT. As I have allowed the yard to 'just be' for this first year, I have discovered some real delights that affirm my decision to be patient. My garden grows and changes with every passing week and I learn to appreciate what we do have, and refine my plans for the ultimate landscaping face lift. A few favorites as of late:




My hydrangea. My pride and joy. And she took no care at all. She just...bloomed! Now if only she was more attractive come winter (naked twigs are not my idea of attractive). Perhaps I'm asking too much.


And apparently this is a yucca. How fun this that? Soooo tall, though this picture does not indicate that fact. I must get around to staking it upright. The poor thing is really too big for its own good!




Over on the south west side of my house I have this GORGEOUS row of crocosmia. Favorite. Color. Ever. More please!!


Our giant redwood out front is the real showstopper. It is at least 120 feet tall. We believe it is original to the house (as is ALL of our landscaping). But it is dirty, shedding its needles late-summer through fall. Furthermore, its ginormous self blocks the sunlight from our entire house. Fortunately we can safely limb up the branches another 10 feet, hopefully allowing in more light.



One last little delight: wild blackberries! Blackberries are very much a weed. In fact, we plan to remove most of them because they are simply too invasive. But for now, they are producing something delicious. No where near ready to pick. Plenty of flowers and green berries. A bit more time and the berries will be perfect for pie, coffee cake and smoothies. Maybe I'll even make some ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment